Sunday, September 14, 2008

Apple Day!!!

On Friday we had an Apple Day as part of our science unit on plants. What a fun day it was! We began the morning by putting our apples that we brought from home, along with some cinnamon, in the crockpot to turn into applesauce. Our classroom smelled so good all day long. After lunch we got to take turns mashing the apples and a few hours later got to eat yummy homemade applesauce!Throughout the day we did tons of apple activities. We read apple books, including a Scholastic Reader about how apples grow and how they get from the orchard to the store to our homes. We made an apple graph to learn what our favorite color of apple is. We spent a long time looking at and discussing our apple graph. For art we each made an apple man. Our apple men, along with our apple graph and a poster showing what we learned from our graph, are hanging in the hall. You will have to come check them out!

The highlight of our Apple Day was a little impromptu activity that happened near the end of the day. I had about 7 or 8 apples that I had brought to school for our apple day. Some of the students had the idea to go bobbing for apples with those left over apples, but I didn't have a big enough bucket. A week or so ago we read a chapter book called The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl. In this book a family gets turned into ducks (well, they keep their human form they just get duck wings) and they have to eat apples without the use of their hands. So we came up with the idea to do like the characters in the book...with the 7 or 8 apples that we had, a few of the students got to try to eat the apples without using their hands. It was hilarious to watch! It was so fun that I promised the kids that didn't get a chance to try it on Friday that I would bring more apples and let them have a chance on Monday.

2 comments:

Rachael Anderson said...

What a fun and wonderful teacher you are! Brighton is so excited to go to school each day and he's learning so much. Thank you for taking the extra time to update this blog as often as you do. I'm sure all of us parents love to see what our kids are up to at school. Brighton loves to see also. Thank you!!!

debra said...

I too LOVE the fun things you are doing with your class! Abby comes home giving me a play-by-play everyday of what you did in class and I think it's FABULOUS! You are doing a great job, and these pictures are so fun! Thank you, thank you, thank you for all you do!