Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Read Alouds

Everyday after lunch we take some time to listen to a read aloud chapter book. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of my father reading aloud chapter books to me. It installed a love of reading in me from a very young age. For this reason I LOVE reading aloud to my class each year. As I read aloud I work with the students on summarizing, making predictions, and making connections. Today we finished our first read aloud, My Father's Dragon. It is the story of Elmer Elevator who runs away to Wild Island to rescue a baby dragon. Elmer has some crazy adventures along the way! Ask your child to tell you what happened when Elmer met the tigers, the rhinoceros, the lion, the gorilla and the crocodiles. My Father's Dragon was a great book to start the year with and I look forward to starting a new one tomorrow!

No comments: